Subject: Re: IDE DMA problems (1.4.2)
To: Bruce Anderson <brucea@spacestar.net>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/01/2000 13:22:04
On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 05:38:16AM -0500, Bruce Anderson wrote:
> >I don't think that would help because the IDE driver first downgrades to
> >mode 1, then sees more CRC errors and disables DMA.. and _even_ _then_ I
> >see CRC errors every now and then while stressing the disk.
>
> Sounds more and more like the BIOS is miss configured.
> I tried over clocking the PCI bus to 37MHz and the system
> generated so many CRC errors it took 20 minutes to boot.

I can't see any BIOS options that I could change.

> That sounds like the PCI latency timer has too small a window.
> If the BIOS allows setting it, set the minimum to 96-108 PCI
> clocks. Keep increasing the window until the underflows go away.

There's no setting for this in the BIOS.. :-(

> Because PnP aware OS "YES"  means the OS (Win95¨) will do all the
> low
> level hardware configuration and PnP aware OS "NO" means The BIOS
> should do all the setup.
>
> Why?  Because, irly PnP did not work and M$ was forced to include
> hardware probe and configuration code so people would not blame M$
> for their hardware woes.

Ok.  "PnP OS" has always been "no", I checked it a while ago.

Lots of good suggestions, but nothing seems to help.. :-/

I'd get a new MB, but if I do, I need a new CPU and a new box for the
system, probably new RAM as well.. all because I wanted to install a
new disk :-I

  -jm