Subject: Re: 1U server chassis and colocation (for NetBSD)
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@mediaone.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/22/2000 16:31:57
In message <200006221755.NAA02663@ghost.whirlpool.com>, you write:

-> Well there is a dual slot 1 motherboard where the slots are on their side.
-> I believe the "VA Linux 1000" uses it, and I believe the IBM Netfinity
-> 4000R.  I was thinking that was a L440GX, but I hadn't checked the
-> Intel web site. :)

Yeah, these motherboards are all OEM'd from Network Engines, Inc.  We have
a 1U VA Linux eval box in house and are getting the NEI box soon... It's
really a pretty spiffy box for the size... You can get up to 2 10000rpm
SCSI disks (via an Adaptec 789x chip, I believe), 2 800Mhz pIII's and
2Gig of RAM into one of these babies (at least the NEI version, the VA
may only sell in several fixed configurations...), and they have 2 82559
ethernets on board.  You can also fit 2 full-size PCI cards into the
sucker, which is really too cool for a box that size!

We had bought a bunch of Dell boxes to do hosting for my employer, but
weren't really happy with them (2 DOAs of 6 boxes in first batch!), and
I think we'll probably end up buying the NEI boxes since we can stack 42
of 'em in one rack and we need processor/memory more than we need disk
space, at least in the front-end boxes (the one nice thing about the dells
was the hot-pluggable SCSI backplane, but as I said this wasn't an issue
for us...).

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                  rafal@mediaone.net