Subject: Re: Internal modem setup
To: Paul Apprich <psapprich@mindspring.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/11/2000 05:34:24
On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Paul Apprich wrote:

> > Paul Apprich wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a 486 system that I intend to use as a dial-up proxy server. It
> > > has a ZOOM Telephonics 56K modem set for 'com2' i/o=0x3e8 / irq=5. What
> > > would I put into the /etc/ttys file and other files to get it working
> > > with PPP?
>
> The modem would be 'com3' in the MS-DOS world. There are two serial
> ports built into the system board. I have tried 'slattach -s 9600
> /dev/tty02' this and what I get is 'tcsetattr: inappropriate ioctl for
> device'.

First, do you _have_ a /dev/tty02? Before 1.4.1, there was no tty02 by
default. If you don't have one, "cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV tty2".

Second, be sure the device was detected correctly at boot. "grep ^com
/var/run/dmesg.boot".

My next step would be to try to talk to the modem with "cu". (There
are other possibilities.) To use "cu", create a file /etc/uucp/port
with the following four lines...

type modem
port modem
device /dev/tty00
speed 115200

and now "cu -p modem", AT and so on. You might even try to dial at
this point. Exit "cu" with '~', '.' (tilde-period).

If you've gotten this far, you need only create a few files under
/etc/ppp to make pppd work seamlessly. It's possible to put almost
everything on the command line... but why? Bob Nestor has posted a
HOWTO which develops a moderately complex setup at
<http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/howto/pppnat/>

Frederick