Subject: Re: serial console bug report: port-i386/9236
To: Daniel Dickinson <perrancan@yahoo.com>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/09/2000 18:36:08
perrancan@yahoo.com said:
> That is if you have (using DOS names) COM1, COM2, and COM4 the BIOS
> will read f8 03 f8 02 e8 02 00 00 instead of  f8 03 f8 02 00 00 e8 02.
>  In the DOS/Win3.1 days this would show up as COM1, COM2, COM3 with
> COM3 having COM4's port address which confused many programs.

I thought this is intentional - the BIOS allows to assign the
physical ports to the logical COMx slots so that one can use
some addon card as eg COM1 without need to reconfigure a user
program. (Almost that what we do with kernel config files:-)

For the Intel board. There is some paper on microsoft's server:
http://www.microsoft.com/HWDEV/headless/default.htm
I didn't read it yet because these are .doc files and I first
have to find someone who prints it out for me. Could point
us to a solution however (if intel has read that too, or at least
an older version of it).

best regards
Matthias