Subject: Re: pthread.h and tclhttpd3.0.2
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Ben Bogart (admin) <bbogart@acs.ryerson.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/08/2000 15:08:14
> Ben Bogart (admin) wrote
> > I've got the MIT-pthreads package, now how do I modify the Thread2.0
> > Makefile to use it? ./configure does not seem to find it. Forgive my lack
> > of Makefile understanding. Is anyone on the NetBSD side using thread2.0 in
> > tcl? if so how did you compile?
>
> You may need to set a environment variable in order to tell the
> configure script to include /usr/pkg/include and /usr/pkg/lib in its
> search path.
>
> I take it that you are trying to build this package manually (not using
> the packages system). In this case try "./configure --help" and look
> for the options --with-extra-includes and --with-extra-libs. If they
> exists issue the follwoing command
>
> 	./configure --with-extra-includes=/usr/pkg/include \
> 			--with-extra-libs=/usr/pkg/lib

tclhttpd is not availible in the package system. I looked at the help but
extra libs and includes are not availible in this configure. The script
suggested I edit LIBS in the Makefile, but I am not familiar enough with
Makefiles to know how to change them, not as if there is just a list of
searching paths that i can find... I can't tell what entries are pointing
at libs and includes within the distribution and ones that it looks for
in the system. I beleive that it should go somewhere in here:

#========================================================================
# Change the name of the variable "thread_LIB_FILE" to match the one
# used in the configure script.  This is the parameterized name of the
# library that we are building.
#========================================================================

lib_BINARIES=$(thread_LIB_FILE)
BINARIES=$(lib_BINARIES)

#========================================================================
# Enumerate the names of the source files included in this package.
# This will be used when a dist target is added to the Makefile.
#========================================================================

thread_SOURCES = threadCmd.c
SOURCES = $(thread_SOURCES)

#========================================================================
# Enumerate the names of the object files included in this package.
# These objects are created and linked into the final library.  In
# most cases these object files will correspond to the source files
# above.
#
#========================================================================

thread_OBJECTS =  threadCmd.$(OBJEXT)
OBJECTS = $(thread_OBJECTS)

#========================================================================
# The substitution of "thread_LIB_FILE" into the variable name below
# allows us to refer to the objects for the library without knowing the
name
# of the library in advance.  It also lets us use the "$@" variable in
# the rule for building the library, so we can refer to both the list of
# objects and the library itself in a platform-independent manner.

thread_LIB_FILE = libthread20.so.1.0
$(thread_LIB_FILE)_OBJECTS = $(thread_OBJECTS)

# This is a list of header files to be installed

GENERIC_HDRS= $(srcdir)/generic/thread.h

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.