Subject: Re: Zenith Zstation woes
To: David Burgess , Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/08/2000 11:51:04
At 10:02 AM 6/8/00 -0500, you wrote:

>Chris wrote:
>>
>> Hiya,
>>
>>     I recently brought home an old Zenith Zstation VP (486DX2/66, 16MB RAM)
>> and added a WD 4GB HD, 3Com 3C509 NIC, SB 16 Pro compatible sound card
and a
>> PnP UDS IS11 SCSI card (Domex/DTC 436P/318x). I installed NetBSD 1.4.2 on
>> it, but I've run into a few problems, basically:
>>
>> 1.) I can't get X to come up. It's an onboard SVGA Cirrus Logic
>> CL-GD5434-QC-F chip with 512k VRAM (I think, since there are two empty vram
>> sockets). Now the XF86config file lists the 5434 as being an ISA card,
>> however my dmesg output shows it being attached to PCI. I didn't find much
>> useful info in the READme.cirrus file. When I try and start X, the screen
>> switches resolutions, stays blank for about a second or two, then I get X
>> server terminated 0:0 (explicit kill or something something). This may
>> however be the fault of #2 and the VGA card may be working fine. (I have
all
>> video shadows disabled btw)
>>
>> 2.) This system has an onboard PS/2 mouse and keyboard connector, but only
>> the keyboard gets detected and attached (AFAICT). dmesg output posted at
the
>> end of the message. I have XF86 pointing to /dev/wsmouse0 , but nothing
gets
>> attached to that device.
>
>Your mouse is on the opms device.  Make that your mouse device and see
>what
>happens.
>
>You should also use 'startx 2> errors > output' to check the server
>status.  Check the errors file for the problems.  This works best from
>the standard shell (you can do it from csh, but you'll need the specific
>syntax for redirecting error output to a file).

For csh:

startx >& combined_stdout_stderr.log

Also try checking if /var/log/X*.log was created.  Newer versions of XFree
create somewhat usefull debug files.

"Luke, you're going to find that many of | Steven Grunza
the truths we cling to depend greatly    | voice:  (856) 787 - 2759
on our own point of view."               | fax:    (856) 866 - 2033
 - Obi Wan Kenobi, Return of the Jedi    | e-mail: steven_grunza@ieee.org