Subject: Toshiba Laptops
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Pinnock <C.J.E.Pinnock@qmw.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/31/2000 08:15:27
Hi,

I've seen a reasonable laptop for a reasonable price. It's the
Toshiba Satellite 2140 CDS and the people advertising it are Toshiba
authorised resellers.

According to Toshiba's NetBSD pages
	http://newsletter.toshiba-tro.de/netbsd/

the apm support for a similar model (the 2140XCDS) is under
development in NetBSD.

Has anyone had any experience with the 2140CDS?

(The reason I ask is that I've recently gone through 15 weeks of hell
with **another** firm trying to prove that the apm on their laptop
(****not toshiba****) didn't work properly. Despite the fact that the first
machine crashed after suspend-to-disc under NetBSD. The replacement
crashed after suspend-to-disc using Linux (different operating to system
to prove that NetBSD wasn't at fault). An independent consultant wrote a
report to say that the machine had a buggy BIOS. The manufacturer told me
that there was something wrong. The reseller still maintains to this day
that there is nothing wrong with the laptop and told me at one point "there
is no such thing as a buggy BIOS". It wasn't until the magazine that I saw
the advert in got involved, that I made any progress and got my money
back...  as you might guess I would like to get this purchase right =)

best wishes,
--
Chris Pinnock
School of Mathematical Sciences,	Tel: +44 (0)20 7882 5448