Subject: Re: New i386 binary snapshot + token ring
To: None <Federico_Lupi@www.datasys.it>
From: Claus Andersen <clan@wheel.dk>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/29/2000 13:20:50
On Mon, 29 May 2000 Federico_Lupi@www.datasys.it wrote:

> 1) IBM 300GL with IBM Turbo 16/4 Token-Ring

Fiddle with the resources and disable PNP.

> 2) IBM 300GL with IBM Token Ring PCI

No can do. All IBM PCI cards are based on the Olympic chipset which there
isn't written any driver for. Somebody started on a FreeBSD driver quite
some time ago but that effort seems to be stalled.

> 3) IBM 330 - P75 with IBM Auto 16/4 Token-Ring ISA

Same as 1)

> - Is there any chance that I can get machine #3 to work?

I would say yes.

> - Will machine #2 work if I configure the Turbo card in Auto 16/4
>   emulation mode (I tried with LANAIDC but was not successful)?

I think not - but I am not sure. The current driver expects to find
something on the ISA bus. #2 machine has an PCI card. The current driver
using the tropic chipset might be rewritten to support Auto 16/4 emulation
(tropic) on the PCI card.

> - Is there a plan to support the IBM Token Ring PCI?

As mentioned above - some did start writing support for FreeBSD (which
could be ported) but unfortunately no one has worked on it for some
time. I think they got an Olicom PCI card running - but again - that code
hasn't been ported to NetBSD.

The IBM Turbo/Auto 16/4 PCMCIA cards (tropic based) will though hopefully
be integrated into 1.5
--
Claus