Subject: Re: [x86] single-stepping in DDB eventually causes machine to reboot?
To: Rafal Boni <rafal.boni@metatel.com>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/18/2000 12:54:40
>I believe it blows up on the first call (static config).  When your Vaio
>was blowing up, did you ever track the problem down beyond a general problem
>getting dynamic config?

Nope. Merely that getting the dynamic config for a particular index
caused the failure.

Unfortunately, I don't think we really have the tools available
to debug that.

>Did it crash somewhere down in 16-bit land, or in the calling code?

At some point after entering the pnpbioscall() trampoline, I presume
in 16-bit land.

>- -> It'd be good to see the output.
>
>I'll send output when I get back to the machine tonight.. I also want to
>compile a kernel with a big MSGBUF or see if I can get the new bootblocks
>built and send output to the serial port.

Great.

I must say, I wonder if we need a bitmask of pnpbios indices to exclude
that could be patched into the kernel or configured in. "Ugh".

--jhawk