Subject: Oracle 8.0.5 for Linux/i386 runs!
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/16/2000 12:27:23
[Note that I'm not actually on this list anymore; I had to drop it to reduce
my inbound traffic.  If you wish to reply, please Cc: me or reply directly.]

I must give kudos to all those who have worked to improve Linux emulation on
i386 in -current... Matthias, Jason, David, and the people I've probably
forgotten who have added those little but crucial bits through PRs.

After upgrading my server-size box to -current, and installing the
suse_linux packages, I downloaded Oracle Linux 8.0.5 last weekend and
installed it.  After fixing two minor issues[*], it installed and ran
without a hitch.  I'm now developing an application for it, in JDBC, using
the pure-Java driver and the native NetBSD JDK port.

Now, off to figure out Oracle 8.1.6.1.  It uses a Java-based
install/maintenance tool suite, and the JDK they ship (which is,
unfortunately, a requirement) is making use of an unsupported modify_ldt()
syscall subtype.  8^)

=====

[*] Oracle requires an increased SEMMNI and SEMMNS, and a value for
SHMMAXPGS that boggles the mind (I used 70, 256, and 81920 respectively).

Also, it will try to relink its binaries, which is not actually needed for
the Linux product; I symlinked /emul/linux/usr/bin/make to /usr/bin/true to
suppress these errors.

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)