Subject: lpt2
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Tobias Seiler <tobi@themaster.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/16/2000 16:18:49
Hi there,

well, I got a strange problem with parallel ports on i386 1.4.

I wanted the machine to have three parallel ports to connect three printers
to it.

The mainboard has a parport onboard and a isa comm card with two com ports
and two par ports. Another parport sits on a hercules card but this one is
disabled.

The onboard port is set to 0x3bc irq 7 in the bios.
The other two  ports are settled at 0x278 and 0x378 with irq 9 and polled.

The strange thing is that lpt2 at 0x3bc doesn't get probed and detected. The
BIOS sees it but not the kernel.
The kernel has support for lpt2 at 0x3bc irq 7 compiled in.

The same thing happens when I disable the onboard parport and enable the
parport on the hercules card at 0x3bc.

I don't see anything else that might use 0x3bc. So what the hell is going ?

Maybe one of you guys has an idea what happens.

The machine is a 486 class one with a AMD 5x86 at 133 MHz.
Its has 3 PCI and 4 ISA slots.
A AMD PCI SCSI card interupting at irq 11.
A ISA modem card interupting at irq 3.
A ISA original NE2000 card at irq 5 and 0x300.
A ISA dual com and dual parport card. The two com ports are disabled. The
two par ports are at 0x278 and 0x378.
A ISA hercules card with a disabled par port.

Nothing special so far.

Bye, Tobias