Subject: laptop IRQ magic
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/11/2000 12:19:11
So, my laptop has a sound chip that probes as any of ym0, wss0, or sb0.  It
doesn't seem to care which.

If I have all the various hooks enabled, on a first boot, it'll probe as a
ym0 at pnpbios0, using irq5.

On a second boot, it will probe as a wss0 at isa0, using irq 10, and since IRQ
10 is in use by the PCI crud, the system hangs.

If I build a kernel with only wss0 at isa0 irq 5, it comes up fine, but the
audio doesn't work, and acts just like an audio device with no functioning
interrupts.

The BIOS config thinks the card is mostly on 0x220, irq 5, but changing that
to IRQ 10 doesn't fix the problem where parts of the PCI bus are getting IRQ
10 too.

The isapnp stuff never seems to probe, whether the laptop is in PNP mode or
not.

Anyone had any luck with a system like this?  It's a Gateway Solo 2300, for
what it's worth.  I've got PCIBIOS_INTR_FIXUP on, but it doesn't seem to help.
I'm open to a half-duplex solution.  :)

Hmm.  sb0 with all the irq/drq stuff lined up (had to use drq2 0, because
the laptop won't set it to 5) configures, but stalls if you try to use it.

Argh.

-s