Subject: viaenv hardware monitor device added
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/08/2000 21:09:09
Ho,

I've just committed a driver for the hardware monitoring part of the
VIA VT82C686A (found on newer Apollo Pro133 and KX133 motherboards).

To get this working you need a -current from today with the viapm and
viaenv lines from the GENERIC kernel config. You also need to `mknod
/dev/viaenv0 c 72 0'. It uses the same interface as the LM7x driver,
so you can use envstat(8) to get readings.

There are a few things worth noting:

*) it doesn't support setting any values (thresholds and similar), nor
   does it care about over or under conditions

*) the chip returns raw data and how to translate these into known
   units is not documented by the 686a datasheet, the current code is
   mostly stolen from the `lm_sensors' Linux driver. One interesting
   thing I've noticed is that on my test machine (EPOX 7KXA) VSENS2
   returns 0 absolute value, but the BIOS and some windows app both
   think it's at about 3.1V

/Johan