Subject: Re: External RAID controllers
To: None <jbw@themail.com>
From: Yubyub bird <jonl@yubyub.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/19/2000 05:17:40
jbw@themail.com said on 2000-04-18:

> I would like to use NetBSD on a DB server with RAID.  I want to
> use an SCSI-> SCSI or IDE->SCSI raid box that looks like a SCSI
> drive to NetBSD.   Has anyone done this?  If so did it work well?

Yes - I use a CMD SCSI->SCSI raid controller.  It accepts f/w scsi, and
gives out two channels of fast narrow SCSI.  Connected to some older 9GB
full height Seagate disks, a kernel build on the raid partition goes
faster than on the local f/w scsi disk.  Of course, YMMV...  The disks
show up just fine to NetBSD, and I can even boot off a slice of a RAID 5
partition or a mirrored partition :-)

> What are some good sources for something like this?

I was lurking on eBay for quite some time before this one showed up...

Hope this helps,

-yubyub
croquette - n.  A small cake of minced | SMTP: yubyub@yubyub.net
 food, such as poultry, vegetables, or | http://www.yubyub.net
 fish, that is usually coated with     | NetBSD on Sparc, Alpha
 bread crumbs and fried in _deep fat_. |  i386, Mac68k, VAX