Subject: Re: boot floppy problems?
To: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us>
From: None <kardel@Nagler-Consult.COM>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/17/2000 13:08:51
At Sat, 15 Apr 2000 18:12:23 -0400 (EDT) , John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us> wrote:

>No boot floppy I've built today (based on supped sources of 2000-04-14)

>works.  All of them crap out after all the autoconfig, selecting md0a as

>root, and the last line is

>    "root file system type: ffs"

>with no working keyboard and no apparent running of init.

>Neither fdset nor bootfloppy-tiny works.

>Anybody else have success with a recent floppy build?
I've had quite some trouble with i386 boot floppies. Error patterns are:

/: inode 4 mangled directory
read text
looping because init gets signal 11

Strangely enough the big-floopy (used for CDROM boot) works just fine.
Thus the fs image seems to be fine.
The netbsd file in the i386 floppy can be extracted intact from the
two floppies. The boot file in the two floppy tar file has been overwritten
by installboot - which is i assume ok as the boot stage seems to work.

This is about as far as my investication went. Most of the time i have
two bad boot floppies - seldom they work. floppy-big does not seem
to be any problem.

Could anybody add to these observations ?

Frank Kardel