Subject: Re: pcic help?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/12/2000 00:09:03
seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach) writes:
> I'm stumped.  I'm trying to get a pcic with a ray0 to work in it.  I really
> want to use this specific motherboard, and I'm not having any luck.  It was
> working in a motherboard based on a VIA chipset.  Now it's in a 440LX (Tyan
> Thunder 2), and it's not working.

I can say its not a problem with the LX chipset in general (or at
least in all cases).  I have it running on my Intel AL440LX
motherboard which incidently also has an adaptec ahc0 SCSI in one of
the PCI slots.  I didn't reserve anything for ISA at the bios level.
I just told it that my OS wasn't PNP and let it do its thing.

> Anyone out there:
> * had any experience with a pcic controller on a 440LX motherboard?
> * know why the pcic wouldn't detect at 0xc0000?
> * know why the motherboard might be refusing to probe SCSI controllers?

Is there some black-hole hardware on the board that netbsd doesn't
know about yet might suck up interrupts and ISA address-space?  If you
haven't tried it you might want to try options PCIBIOS,
PCIBIOS_INTR_FIXUP, PCIBIOS_BUS_FIXUP.  That might ferret out some
conflicting hidden hardware.

On my earlier Intel vs440fx board I noticed that any significant
screwing around required me to periodically boot with the magic jumper
to clear the cmos ram.  It seems that that board's bios would nail
down irq/address assignments and those assignments wouldn't move until
I cleared the cmos.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>