Subject: Re: How to put a boot loader on a floppy ?
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/11/2000 13:40:32
Andrew Gillham writes:
> Perhaps we've got version skew.
> I'm using -current, and the following _works_, I just tested it.
> 	# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rfd0a bs=512 count=512
> 	# disklabel -r -w fd0a floppy3
> 	# newfs fd0a
> 	# installboot netboot.sym /dev/rfd0a
>
> The resulting floppy boots and attempts to initialize my network card.
> If you are using something else (1.4.2?) perhaps the netboot.sym that
> is generated by "make netboot.sym" is different.  I'll test it on my
> 1.4.2 machine in a few.

This also works with 1.4.2.  I tested building the image on vnd0, and
then writing to my floppy, but essentially it is the same.

Could you remind us of the steps you're taking to build your floppy?

-Andrew

PS. I think posting with a forged email address is inappropriate.
    If you don't want your address spammed, use one of the redirectors
    like 'writeme.com' or whatever.
Andrew Gillham                            | NetBSD ist Affengeil.
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | Nachts ist es kaelter
I speak for myself, not for my employer.  | als draussen.