Subject: Re: How to put a boot loader on a floppy ?
To: Eric Delcamp <e.delcamp_NOSPAM@wanadoo.fr>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/11/2000 12:16:56
Eric Delcamp writes:
> Wrong.
> biosboot.sym contain a first boot loader (the small code that is loaded by
> BIOS and load the rest of the file/sectors into memory).
> I need to extract this small piece of code (called by me "floppyload.bin")
> and join it with netboot.sym to create a right boot process.

Perhaps we've got version skew.
I'm using -current, and the following _works_, I just tested it.
	# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rfd0a bs=512 count=512
	# disklabel -r -w fd0a floppy3
	# newfs fd0a
	# installboot netboot.sym /dev/rfd0a

The resulting floppy boots and attempts to initialize my network card.
If you are using something else (1.4.2?) perhaps the netboot.sym that
is generated by "make netboot.sym" is different.  I'll test it on my
1.4.2 machine in a few.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | NetBSD ist Affengeil.
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | Nachts ist es kaelter
I speak for myself, not for my employer.  | als draussen.