Subject: Re: Problems with dual booting
To: Mipam <reinoud@ibbnet.org>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/31/2000 16:08:31
>> Has anybody set up like a windows/NetBSD dual boot on say a 20gig
>> Harddrive, I'm looking to splitting the drive in half 10gig for win and
>> 10gig for NetBSD. Is there an kind of docs on setting up dual boot on
>> larger drives.
>
>It's easy to boot more os'ses from one disk.
>Netbsd got a nice tool for this.
>Of course, first divide the disk into several slices and install the os'ses you like. Next you can install the netbsd bootmanager, works great, can boot nearly all i believe. Do it like this:
>
>Imagine you got an ide disk as first disk.
>fdisk -i -c /usr/mdec/mbr_bootsel wd0
>disk -B wd0
>
>Answer the questions needed and there ya go.
>Btw, i must say this is an rtfm matter, on the netbsd pages it is nicely described. Hope it helps.

hmm...that seems to conveniently answer the question that i was about
to ask.  i have a new laptop (toshiba portege 7200) with win98
scrunched down from the 12 gigs it used to have to 1.5 (via partition
magic).  freebsd came next and was able to boot them both.  netbsd
(1.4U) went last (and the freebsd boot loader wouldn't boot it) and
so i added osbs.  which apparently can't boot either of them.

i'll re-install 1.4U tonight and select the netbsd boot loader.  thx.  :)

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|