Subject: Re: 1.4.2 Observations
To: Eric Delcamp <e.delcamp.NO_SPAM@wanadoo.fr>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/30/2000 18:26:39
On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 11:23:43PM +0200, Eric Delcamp wrote:
> Hi
> > On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 11:51:31AM -0500, Andrew Gillham wrote:
> > Does the behaviour you're describing appear as a momentary freeze of all
> > disk activity? In 1.4 on i386 I noticed some odd pauses (about 1 1/2
> seconds)
> > that I attributed to thermal recalibration. The machine it stood out on
> the
> > most had a 2940UW with UW Scsi drives, but I think I've seen it on IDE
> also.
>
> Hu, thermal calibration on IDE drives ? Don't see this in any specs for IDE,
> only for SCSI AV (audio video) drives.
> Could you confirm ?

The machine that I attributed to thermal recal was SCSI. It was also in a
very hot room which brought it to mind.

I saw similar pauses on some IDE machines, but I wasn't working in front
of the machine, so I couldn't discount network delay etc as I could
while working on the console of the SCSI based boxes.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Although some of you out
there might find a microwave oven controlled by a Unix system an attractive