Subject: Re: Anyone recommend a good terminal type?
To: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
From: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/29/2000 14:55:15
On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Stephen Borrill wrote:

>>      Why?  A real vt220 terminal doesn't have colour, so why should a
>> termcap/terminfo entry for a vt220 have colour definitions?
>
>It shouldn't strictly.

But many vt220 emulators do have colour support (and I suspect real
VT220 terminals are a bit rare these days).  And a properly-constructed
ANSI escape sequence parser should silently ignore any SGR parameters
which it doesn't understand.  Certainly a Wyse-185, which is the nearest
we have to a hardware VT220 does.

Roger

Roger Brooks (Systems Programmer),          |  Email: R.S.Brooks@liv.ac.uk
Computing Services Dept,                    |  Tel:   +44 151 794 4441
The University of Liverpool,                |  Fax:   +44 151 794 4442
PO Box 147, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK           |