Subject: Re: Anyone recommend a good terminal type?
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/29/2000 14:34:39
On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, John Nemeth wrote:

> On Jul 3,  8:58am, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> } On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> }
> } > I've installed ncurses-5.0 and dialog, but the default vt220 terminal
> } > type defined in /etc/ttys does not support colour. Looking through
> } > terminfo.src, I can't see any other obvious choices. I tried pc3, but it
> } > doesn't have top-bit characters to display lines, etc.
> }
> } Actually, it's supposed to support color, but there's evidently some
>
>      Why?  A real vt220 terminal doesn't have colour, so why should a
> termcap/terminfo entry for a vt220 have colour definitions?

It shouldn't strictly.

> Wouldn't it be better to use a more appropriate terminal type?

Yes, it would. Question is/was what is a more appropriate terminal type?
After a bit of experimentation, I've found "color_xterm" to be successful
under X and the best I could find for the console was "screen". I've found
this to be usable with wscons as well as other terminal packages (e.g.
Simpterm32 on Windows). OK, it doesn't do the percentage counter in
reverse video when you use more, but that's nitpicking.

--
Dr. Stephen Borrill