Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.4.2 Split disksets
To: None <oster@cs.usask.ca, jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/29/2000 14:44:38
Hi,

> > Double-check the split files that you have... the split files available
> > for FTP look just fine to me.  e.g.:
>
> The MD5 sums for each file match the ones listed in binary/sets/Split/MD5,
> and I tested with both a 1.4.2 and 1.4.1 installation disk. Unpacking of
> base.tgz died all three times (using different floppies each time) at
> /usr/share/misc/vgrindefs.db. I got the system up and running in single
> user mode, and /usr/INSTALL/base.tgz was less than the expected size, and
> 'cd /; tar -zxvvpf /usr/INSTALL/base.tgz' died on the same file. I split
> base.tgz on my own and untarred it to / and it worked. Maybe it's a
> problem with sysinst?

Well, the problem is that sysinst "knows" (actually, thinks it knows), how
many parts are in each set.  And this table wasn't updated after the split.
So sysinst thinks base has only parts aa-bw where it actually has aa-by,
and thus it misses the last two of the split files.

We really need a better mechanism to handle this.

Releng, could you update the dist_list initialization in
distrib/utils/sysinst/arch/*/md.h for those ports that do support split
sets?  Albeit, at least for 1.4.2 until now, I see that split sets are
only there for the i386...

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--