Subject: Re: IDE CD-ROM drives and Installation with 1.4.1
To: Andy Sporner <andy.sporner@networkengines.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/28/2000 19:11:21
On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 04:16:40PM -0500, Andy Sporner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am installing via CD-ROM using a Mitsumi 24x (laptop style)
> CD-ROM with mixed success.  I created a bootable CD-ROM
> to install 1.4.1.
>
> Using this configuration, It booted the kernel and when it tried
> to load sets, I got errors (DMA IIRC).
>
> On another system with a more-or-less standard CD-ROM, this
> was not a problem.
>
> My guess is the kernel wants always to do DMA and not PIO,
> but I am thinking this drive (or related hardware) can only do
> PIO.

No, NetBSD tries to use DMA if both the drive and controller claims to
support it. If an error occurs it should retry and eventually downgrade
to PIO. But this shoudl't abort the transfer.
What are the exact error messages ?

> Is there a way of triggering it to do PIO?  Or what are any
> recommendations...

Try a 1.4.2 boot floppy ? I fixed a bug in the downgrade code some time ago
but I can't remember if this was before or after 1.4.1

     {Net,Free}BSD: 22 ans d'experience feront toujours la difference