Subject: Re: 1.4.2 Observations
To: Richard Pennington <rich@introl.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/26/2000 23:26:51
Richard Pennington writes:

> One of my new systems has a usb keyboard and a port for a ps2 keyboard.
> The kernel finds both (which is good) but makes the ps2 port the
> console keyboard, even though there is no keyboard attached to the port.
> I have to recompile the kernel and turn off the ps2 console attachment.
> Is this the "right way" or is there something I'm missing? Ideally,
> I think the driver should detect the fact that now keybord is attached
> and ignore the port, at least for the console.

I have this problem with -current also, so I have to leave the PS/2
keyboard plugged in so I can boot single-user if necessary, etc. :(

> I'm wondering if I'm running into a disk I/O limitation rather than
> a processor speed limitation. I do a lot of program building, compiling,
> etc. Both systems have some kind of IDE disk. Would upgrading to some
> kind of SCSI, or multiple hard disks produce an improvement?

You might try increasing your buffer cache if you have plenty of RAM.
Put something like this in your kernel config file:
	options	BUFCACHE=25	(25% of RAM)

Also, you want to use a MFS for /tmp if you are not already, or
the '-pipe' option with gcc.

If you have any kind of luck, posting some stats might be useful
for others.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.