Subject: 1.4.2 Observations
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Pennington <rich@introl.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/26/2000 19:11:23
I just installed 1.4.2.

First off, I'd like to say that NetBSD continues to be awesome. I've
been around since around 0.8 (as I recall) and every release has brought
me new joy. This time it was running the linux version of Realplayer 7.
I'm not sure if it ran before, but I was able to use their installation
program and everything went flawlessly. Not that I really need Realplayer,
but I was almost able to convince my son, a windows nut, that NetBSD could
actually be a viable alternative. If it weren't for the game issue, I think
I'd be able to convert him.

I have noticed a couple of problems that were also in 1.4.1. If these
haven't been addressed, I'll look into fixing them.

One of my new systems has a usb keyboard and a port for a ps2 keyboard.
The kernel finds both (which is good) but makes the ps2 port the
console keyboard, even though there is no keyboard attached to the port.
I have to recompile the kernel and turn off the ps2 console attachment.
Is this the "right way" or is there something I'm missing? Ideally,
I think the driver should detect the fact that now keybord is attached
and ignore the port, at least for the console.

I'm still having problems with the vr ethernet driver and large transfers.
It reports

vr0: transmit aborted
vr0: device timeout

and slows down to a very slow crawl. Slow transfers, rlogins, etc.
work ok. It may be that the problem is now in the target system, which
is still running 1.4.1. If so, I'll upgrade that.

Finally, I recently upgraded my main work system from a PII 333 to
a PIII 600. It seems zippy but not as fast as I expected: My last upgrade,
from a PI200 to the PII333 seemed to make quite a bit more difference.
The new system runs a simple timing program a little less than twice as fast as
the old, but doesn't seem twice as fast overall.

I'm wondering if I'm running into a disk I/O limitation rather than
a processor speed limitation. I do a lot of program building, compiling,
etc. Both systems have some kind of IDE disk. Would upgrading to some
kind of SCSI, or multiple hard disks produce an improvement?

-Rich
--
Richard Pennington		Introl Corporation, Milwaukee, WI USA
Email: rich@introl.com		Phone: +1 414-273-6100	Fax: +1 414-273-6106