Subject: Re: latest wizzbang pc m/boards.
To: Alex <xela@MIT.EDU>
From: Michael C. Ibarra <ibarra@hawk.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/19/2000 21:00:07
At 01:31 PM 03/19/2000 -0500, Alex wrote:

> > I've also had good luck in the past with Intel motherboards, although I
> > haven't bought one in awhile. I'm thinking of getting a CA810EAL
> > motherboard with integrated video/sound/ethernet - the 810 isn't the
> > fastest chipset on the market, but everything on the motherboard + an
> > FC-PGA PIII means that you can fit an entire server into a 1U high box.
>
>I've got about a dozen 1U machines built on the CA810EAL.  They're
>trucking right along.  (Note: I think Xfree86 on these is still an
>issue, but don't really know ---- I'm booting these to serial consoles
>and don't care.)

For those who do, apparently xfree86 needs only a loadable kernel module,
which I believe IWAMOTO Toshihiro has ported from linux? We use these
mobos on our entire 1U product line with absolutely no problems whatsoever
and we've had three burning in for several months.

> > (Speaking of that - apparently you need to get special low profile memory
> > for this. The two places where I've found 1U cases have memory, but it
> > seems quite expensive relative to the market; anybody know a source of
> > regularly priced DIMMs that are low profile?)

We never ordered any "special" memory so I can't elaborate on this. Another
Intel motherboard we use is the L440GX+, which seems rather hard to find these
days :-( We haven't been able to test this board with NetBSD as of yet since
our other servers will mostly run Linux. This board, just like the
CA810EAL, offers
onboard VGA, LAN, SCSI (not the 810EAL though) and it is capable of being
used via the BIOS for serial console, probably why it has become almost
extinct.

-mike

Michael C. Ibarra
ibarra@hawk.com