Subject: panic: init died (signal 0, exit 1)
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/17/2000 22:35:03
Any thoughts on how I can debug this:

S3 Trio32/64 (VGA display, revision 0x44) at pci0 dev 16 function 0 not configured
isa0 at pcib0
com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo
com0: console
npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0-0xff: using exception 16
pcprobe: reset error 1
pc0 at isa0 port 0x60-0x6f irq 1: color
pc: timeout updating leds
fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2
fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB, 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
biomask f5ed netmask ffed ttymask ffef
md0: internal 1536K image area
boot device: fd0
root on md0a dumps on md0b
root file system type: ffs
panic: init died (signal 0, exit 1)
Stopped in init at      0xc017ff84:     leave
db> ps
 PID             PPID       PGRP        UID S   FLAGS          COMMAND    WAIT
 4                  0          0          0 2 0x20204          ioflush
 3                  0          0          0 2 0x20204           reaper
 2                  0          0          0 2 0x20204       pagedaemon
>1                  0          0          0 2  0x4004             init
 0                 -1          0          0 3 0x20204          swapper schedul

I included the bit before to show that there is no keyboard connected, and
the thing is running on a serial console (BTW would it be a good idea to add
a commented out CONS_OVERRIDE to INSTALL as per GENERIC?) I wonder if my
problem has something to do with expecting input. However, what can I do
with init died (signal 0, exit 1)? It comes from exit1() in kern_exit.c
but then it could be called from syscall definitions etc - it isn't obvious
where this particular message is coming from. As to

Stopped in init at      0xc017ff84:     leave

I take it that is just cpu_Debugger(). So, what can I do to narrow down
where to look?

Cheers,

Patrick
PS 1.4U/i386