Subject: New i386 user: mouse/X HELP/clarification and other Q's
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Gene ENonymous <happygene@hotmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/15/2000 14:12:57
I have been using netbsd (mac68k) 1.3.2 for about a year...
It works great for routing and serving on my home lan...

I just bought a Dec Celebris FP 590 (16M, 1025M disk 1M S3 video)
***Logitec 3 button PS/2 mouse***
for cheap...and installed netbsd i386 1.4.1...it boots fine and
I can communicate with the lan and net fine...[kudos on being
able to configure the network card and sort that interface
automagically!!!]

Next step, I want to configure X. The doccumentation talks about
XF86Setup - which sounds cool, but does not seem to be included
in the distribution? So I struggled through xf86config and finally
after reading many FAQ's and wading deep through the DEC/Compaq
archives, got XF86Config to the point where startx only seems to
die because the mouse is not configured. (it begins to take over the
video then exits...for me that was a very hopeful sign)

Many more FAQ's and scanning the mail list archives later...
I am VERY confused...

Is there any alternative to using wsmouse (/dev/wsmouse0)?
  If so, what is it?
  [I have examined dmesg output and I do not see anything that
   looks like the mouse was recognized or configured -
   certainly nothing mentioned in the wsmouse docs...]
  If my mouse is not on wsmouse0(/1/2/3), where might it be?

Do I really need to configure and compile a new kernel to
use wsmouse? (I'm not really afraid to do this, but since
PS/2 mice are so prevelant, I would be curious as to why this
support is not turned on in the generic kernel) The docs
say something to the effect that up to 1.3.2 a new kernel needs
to built to use wsmouse, but leaves me wondering if this
is the case in 1.4.1. I would prefer not to waste my time
if I am really fighting some other problem...

On the mailing list I see reference to 1.4C build... how does that
compare to 1.4.1?

In the packages directory I see packages available for i386
under 1.4.2 and 1.4S but not under 1.4.1.
Which packages directory should I use for my 1.4.1 installation?

thanks,
Gene McNay happygene (at) hotmail dot com