Subject: Re: AHA-1542CF timed out
To: George Sollish <gsollish@mail.gisco.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/13/2000 21:18:33
On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 01:31:13PM -0500, George Sollish wrote:
> I'm progressing with my mongrel 1.4.1 i586 setup, and just installed an
> Adaptec AHA-1542CF to drive a Tandberg TD4120 tape and a Plextor RX-20TS
> cdrom.  The card and devices probe and are identified correctly with no
> apparent resource conflicts (addresses, irqs and drqs all clear comparing
> dmesg w/ and w/o the card present), the cable is good (works on the linux
> box that surrendered it), and no complaints from the Adaptec about
> termination or other.  When I try to access either device I get a
> "cd0(aha0:3:0): timed out" or "st0(aha0:2:0): timed out" message followed
> by a "timed out AGAIN" a few seconds later and a long system hang.  I can
> login on a second VT and continue (slowly), but a shutdown -h at that
> point will hang after syncing.

looks like an IRQ problem. Are you sure the IRQ you're using is the rigth one ?
The kernel may print the one it's configured to use, but not the one really
used by the board. You'll have to check the board's dip switches.
Are you sure this IRQ is free ? Did you mark it as used by isa in the BIOS ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>