Subject: Re: IBM token ring cards
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: jonl <jonl@yubyub.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/10/2000 23:07:59
On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Andrew Gillham wrote:

> jonl writes:
> > I've seen a number of different IBM ISA token ring cards out there.  Does
> > anyone have any part no's/descriptions (16 bit?), etc... that I can use
> > when considering a purchase?  TIA.

[snip]

> What are you looking for exactly?  If you just need one card, I can
> probably help you out, especially if it is for NetBSD stuff.
> (e.g. if you are enhancing the drivers, I'll give you a card)

I'm actually just looking to try it out.  All my life, I've done
ethernet.  I have recently had a chance to delve into fiber technologies,
including FDDI.  Token ring was another one I've never done, so I figured
what the heck...

I'm also interrested in how the token passing network performs under heavy
loads.  Using ethernet, my application slows quite a bit under heavier
network loads (as one might expect from probabilistic access).  Running it
over token ring would be a neat-o experiment.

Thanks 2^20 for the p/n.

-yubyub
croquette - n.  A small cake of minced | SMTP: yubyub@yubyub.net
 food, such as poultry, vegetables, or | http://www.yubyub.net
 fish, that is usually coated with     | NetBSD on Sparc, Alpha
 bread crumbs and fried in _deep fat_. |  i386, Mac68k, VAX