Subject: Re: usb support
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
From: William O Ferry <woferry@iname.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/07/2000 07:18:17
Lennart Augustsson wrote:
>andu wrote:
>
> > I want to know if netbsd has a better support of usb then freebsd(as of 3.3)
> > which only works if I turn off usb mouse/keyboard in BIOS (screws up my
> > Linux)
>
> I'm not sure if this works, because I've not been able to test it.  But if it doesn't
> work it's a bug that should be fixed.
>

> > and unplugging/plugging mouse/keyboard renders them useless(big problem
> > since I share one monitor, usb keyboard/mouse, with 2 machines).
>
> Plugging and unplugging keyboards and mice works just fine.

	Actually, based on my experience it doesn't work very well if the
keyboard was attached to the console (as it likely would be in the
situation described above), or possibly if it's attached to the wsmux at
all (I think I managed to panic a system with both a PC keyboard and a
USB keyboard just by pulling the USB one when I tried it).  I had hoped
to do the same thing with 4 machines and a switchbox, but all of the
machines (two macppc's and two x86's) panic when the console keyboard is
detached.  I grabbed the panic info on one of the macppc boxes (running
1.4T built a week or so ago), though since the keyboard had been
detached I was unable to get any more info from ddb:

uhub1 detached
trap type 200 at f1204090
Stopped in usb0 at 0x27e3a0	lwz r0, r1, 0x14

	Not much of a help, I can try to see if I can get any better debugger
info.  Based on what I've seen this should be pretty easily
reproducable, though.

	Thanks.
                                            Will