Subject: Re: NFS server hangs under 1.4.1
To: Kent Polk <kent@tiamat.goathill.org>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/06/2000 20:52:31
On Mon 06 Mar 2000 at 17:12:19 +0000, Kent Polk wrote:
> I have had an NFS problem with ep/3C509 as a NFS client for almost
> a year. The server is a Solaris Ultra 5 and this problem only exists
> with the NetBSD (1.4.0/1.4.1) NFS client. The problem is that when
> *sending* files around 2MB and larger, the NetBSD client starts
> hanging for typically from about 30 seconds to a minute or so and
> sometimes it simply fails. When it fails, nfsstat indicates the

Now we are blaming 3C509 cards, I have another data point. On a 486 at
66 MHz, with 3C509, running 1.3.2, the network sometimes hangs for 30
seconds or more. The machine does not react to pings or other network
activity, but otherwise works fine from the console. I have mostly, but
not exclusively, seen this with samba. Also with nfs and ftp. The data
transfer is typically towards this machine. There seems to be a
partial(?) data depencency, since it happened more than once that a
particular file just did not want to be transferred.

The network performance seems rather below par when it works normally.

No messages are ever logged.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder.ubc.     -- If one tells the truth,
\X/ .kun.nl     -- one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out. (Oscar Wilde)