Subject: Re: fast ethernet isn't?
To: Thomas Michael Wanka <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
From: Brian Gregor <bgregor@buphy.bu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/03/2000 08:27:08
Hmm, no wonder I switched from Linux to NetBSD ;-)

Unfortunately, the Linux box needs to remain Linux, since it
will be running a framegrabber card (www.linuxmedialabs) for
which there is no NetBSD driver.  The driver is GPL'd and
the docs for the chipset are freely available - if anyone
wants to help me with a NetBSD port I'd be willing to try
this out.  I have no experience doing device drivers for
any OS, much less porting them, but I am pretty good at C.

I just reinstalled Linux on it - replacing Red Hat 6.1 with
Slackware 7.0, and transfer speeds have jumped to 7 Mbyte/s.
Weird.  Kernel 2.2.14 instead of 2.2.12, maybe that helped?
Oh well.

Brian