Subject: Re: Crash: NetBSD-1.4S
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/02/2000 11:29:46
> I have also noticed kernel crashes with my ASUS P2B-S Board.
> Reconfiguring The parallel port to dumb mode in BIOS didn't help.
> The printer is an HP-OfficeJet.  The crash seems to be more of the
> sort runaway kernel stack (for whatever reason).

I had such a problem on my i386 box.  I determined that the problem
was that the printer would accept a byte and be ready for the next in
less time than the CPU could get out of the interrupt routine.  Then
when it allowed interrupts just prior to returning, it would be
interrupted immediately -> instant stack overflow, because the buffer
was too big.

Cutting down the buffer size stopped the crashes, but performance was
pitiful.  Switching to the polled driver was the real cure; you might
try that.  (This is done by setting the 0x80 bit in the device minor
number; for example, my /dev/lpt0 is device 16,128.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca