Subject: Re: Yamaha DS-XG Legacy Sound system
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/02/2000 05:13:59
On 29 Feb 2000, Nathan J. Williams wrote:

> Ah, a searcgh for "724" on Yamaha's site turns up what casual browsing
> didn't. The information and data sheet is at:
>
> http://www.yamahayst.com/pcaudio/ymf724f_body.htm
>
> which confirms PCI product ID 0x000d.
>
> Unfortunately, that document is low on programming information... you
> might be able to use it to get the device into ISA SB compatability
> mode, but not much else.

It is a bit sketchy on information, but when I looked it I was kinda
guessing that the gaps could be filled in quite easily by someone who
understood how PCI was supposed to work. I'm probably quite wrong, though.

I have a sound card which is based on the 724 chipset. It has an SP/DIF
output which is why I use it (now and again under Windows), but I'd love
to be able to use it under NetBSD which is what the machine runs most of
the time.

From dmesg:
Yamaha 724 Audio (audio multimedia, revision 0x02) at pci0 dev 11 function
0 not configured

If anyone does manage to knock up a driver (either in native mode or in SB
compatibility mode - TBH native mode looked simpler to me), I'll be happy
to see how well it works.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget