Subject: Re: Build of current-2000.2.17 fails
To: Grey Wolf <greywolf@siteROCK.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/17/2000 16:32:17
On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Grey Wolf wrote:

> I did 'make includes' and '(cd /usr/src/share/mk; make install)' prior to
> the make build.
>
> Currently running 1.4.1 release; trying to build -current -- is there
> a document or a step I missed...?

A few. :-)

This might help: <http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/elf.html#top>.

Alternatively, you might try to update the kernel to current-a.out
before trying to accomplish the transition. I was able to take 1.4.1
to 1.4P-a.out, (kernel only) and I even took notes:

	1) Compose a custom config without COMPAT_AOUT. With such a
kernel, you won't have to move the a.out libraries out of /usr/lib.

	2) "make depend && make && make install" in yacc, lex, make,
and config, in turn; then configure, build and boot the kernel.

	3) If you must install in /usr/src/share/mk to build anything,
be sure to set OBJECT_FMT=a.out in /etc/mk.conf first; as a.out will
then no longer be the default.

	4) With a current kernel, it should be safe to run "make
includes" over the whole tree (of course, you did that already),
install arbitrary parts of the tool-chain (binutils, gas.new, egcs),
and ultimately build a whole distribution a.out. I haven't gotten
around to doing that yet. Your mileage may vary.