Subject: Re: Slow 486 seems really slow
To: Simon Burge <simonb@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/15/2000 07:48:19
On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 15:44:39 +1100
 Simon Burge <simonb@NetBSD.ORG> wrote:

 > I've been recently thinking about something like this as spare-time
 > project to learn about both UVM and filesystems, both of which I've
 > never really played with.  Is there any simple existing examples
 > of something that allocates pageable kernel memory - does the pool
 > allocator fall into this category?

No, the pool allocator doesn't allocate pageable kernel memory; the memory
it allocates is always wired.  We may want to change that at some point
(have an option to allocate pageable memory instead), but right now that's
how it works.  "A more efficient malloc replacement."

An "aobj" (anonymous memory object) would be ideal as the basis of such
a file system.