Subject: Re: Slow 486 seems really slow
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/14/2000 15:25:53
On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 10:01:56 +1100
 Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU> wrote:

 > Does async on an mfs really achieve anything useful?
 >
 > I'd guess that noatime might save just a tiny fraction of cpu time,
 > but is that really worth it either?

Actually, MFSs are always mounted async; the kernel forces it.

 > Both of those options are really tailored to saving disc accesses aren't
 > they, and aren't really likely to be all that useful for a mfs filesys.
 >
 > Or am I missing something fundamental there?

Well, the process doing whatever directory op has to wait a little longer
in the non-async case... and in the MFS case, you may have to wait for
the MFS server process to run again... but async avoids that.

Of course, the "wait for MFS server process" is really just a
side-effect of the way MFS is implemented.

I.e. it really should be rewritten from scratch.