Subject: Re: rarpd stops listening
To: NetBSD/i386 Discussion List <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/09/2000 09:28:05
[ On Wednesday, February 9, 2000 at 07:45:15 (+1100), Giles Lean wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: rarpd stops listening
>
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2000 14:27:23 +0100 (MET)  Pållen <pollen@astrakan.hig.se> wrote:
> >
> > Any idea why rarpd stops listening? On both 1.4.1 and 1.4.2_ALPHA. It
> > doesn't core dump, it just stops answering requests and has to be killed
> > and restarted.
>
> I saw a problem similar to that a Long Time ago; then the diskless box
> that needed RARP died and I didn't investigate it.  I'd do the usual
> and use ktrace and/or a debugger as a first step to finding out what
> it's up to.

NetBSD 1.3.2 and 1.3.3 encounter this problem all of the time.

I did patch my rarpd with changes from -current some time ago and the
result was that I can now reliably boot the client(s) by simply removing
and re-publishing the correct ARP entry, such as with:

	arp -d hostname ; arp -s hostname XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

In the case of my sparcstation the boot hangs just before it starts to
tftp the boot loader.  When I do the above on the server then the client
immediately begins to load.  I no longer have to restart rarpd.

--
							Greg A. Woods