Subject: Re: Support for some obscure devices (MLX0076, HWP1940)
To: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
From: Tim Walls <tim.walls@pa.press.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/08/2000 12:37:52
Jon Lindgren wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Tim Walls wrote:
>> The box also has 4 (count 'em ;-) Hewlett Packard network cards, also
>> not configured by NetBSD.  These are identified on boot as "HWP1940".
>>
>> 2. Do we have any support for the HWP1940 ethernet card?
>
> Are these the EISA 100VG cards?  After doing some digging, it looks like
> the HP part number for these may be J2577A, with a description of HP
> J2577A 10/100VG.

That sounds about right!  There is a barcode-label with 'J2577-60001'
written above it stuck on the boards.

The big chip is manufactured by AT&T apparently, and bears the following
legend:

  HP100VG
  AT&T  1821-1400
  9259S 5608240

Does this ring any bells with anyone?  I'll pinch a screwdriver off
someone & pull one of them out of the machine, this should let me get
a better look to see if there is anything else interesting on there.

> Again, I don't think support is there.  If you can grab the card and
> identify some of the chips, there may be a chance that 1) it's supported
> under another driver (ala the de or tlp drivers, which seem support
> (log x)^3 cards at any given moment in time ;-) or 2) the framework is
> there to start a driver...

I'm hoping that the sysadmin can't find any versions of Linux that
support it.  If so, I'll half-inch it & can make it a personal project
to write some drivers if there are none already (not that I've ever
written a BSD or ethernet driver before...!!)

Cheers,
Tim.

--
Tim Walls