Subject: Support for some obscure devices (MLX0076, HWP1940)
To: NetBSD-Port i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Walls <tim.walls@pa.press.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/08/2000 11:32:27
Folks,

We have an ancient ix86 machine which used to run Netware, and is
destined for the scrapheap if we can't get another OS on it.  I am
currently in a race against my sysadmin who wants to put some form
of Linux on it (obviously, I want NetBSD on there :-).

Basically, the problem is that it's a fairly odd (& ancient) machine
with some odd devices in it.  It's a Hewlett Packard server thing
with 5 hot-pluggable 2GB drives, and a CD-ROM.

The machine is basically a Pentium-on-a-board, plugged onto a
backplane with a selection of EISA and PCI slots.  The backplane
has an on-board Adaptec SCSI controller which the CD-ROM is connected
to - NetBSD recognises this fine.

The hard drives are connected to a bizarre SCSI RAID controller labelled
Mylex.  NetBSD identifies this on boot as "MLX0076" (not configured.)

So, first question...

1. Do we have any support for the MLX0076 SCSI controller?

That isn't a show stopper - if necessary the hard drives can be dangled
off the on-board Adaptec (NetBSD finds them fine that way.)  The second
problem is the network cards.

The box also has 4 (count 'em ;-) Hewlett Packard network cards, also
not configured by NetBSD.  These are identified on boot as "HWP1940".

2. Do we have any support for the HWP1940 ethernet card?

Any help to save us from the curse of Linux would be much appreciated.
My desktop machine (erratically) tracks -current, so I can play with
any experimental sources & build a custom kernel for the box, if I can
just find some drivers that can be convinced to talk to it.

Thanks in advance,
Tim.

--
Tim Walls