Subject: Re: ISA<->PCMCIA card readers
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/05/2000 18:34:03
seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach) writes:
> So, I'm pretty convinced at this point that the killer is that the
> motherboards I can come up with (ASUS P2L-97, Tyan Thunder 2, both 440LX)
> are having serious ISA mapping problems.

That's probably the case.  you might try other cards, to verify that
they work.  but i'll note that e.g. on my machines that i mentioned
earlier, i was completely unable to find more than 32KB in one
contiguous area that could reliably be used for PCMCIA memory.

> So, it occurs to me:  Does anyone use *CardBus* adapters?  My cardbus
> laptop is working beatifully with the ray0 card.  A PCI<->CardBus adapter
> would probably work for me.  *sigh*.

I've only seen mention of a couple of these on the web, and invariably
they've all been back-accessable, so they've not been interestnig to
me.  8-)

> For that matter, anyone know if USB<->CardBus readers are supported in
> -current?  :)  I know it sounds insane, but it's cheaper than the
> PCI<->CardBus adapter I've seen.

I've never seen a CardBus adapter that sits on USB.  I've seen some
pcmcia storage / cf / smart media adapters, which might work with
umass, but the one that i didn't present a reasonable device class
value.  (it was the siig.  *sigh*)

> I don't suppose there's an easy way to debug problems with getting access
> to 64k of ISA memory on a system that *really* doesn't seem to be able to
> allocate it?

This is the joy of ISA.  It'll be good when ISA is dead.

cgd