Subject: Re: CARDBUS vs. GENERIC
To: Matt Ragan <mragan@uk.tivoli.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/03/2000 13:35:59
On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 12:24:42PM +0000, Matt Ragan wrote:
> I run two different kernels on my Thinkpad 770Z - one with the CardBus
> support, and one without it.  The one with CardBus support runs my
> CardBus device just fine (3Com 3C575B-TX), but any PCMCIA devices that
> are inserted (Flash card, Adaptec 1460B, 3Com 3C589, Lucent WaveLAN) all
> panic the system when they are probed.  The identical kernel without
> CardBus support detect and run these devices just fine (with the
> exception of the WaveLAN, as the support doesn't seem to be there for the
> Turbo 11Mb cards with or without encryption turned on).
>
> Is this a known issue, or should I send in a PR with the dump output?  I
> suppose I should rebuild a kernel with a serial console to get the error
> messages, anyways.

I have a similar (possibly the same) problem on my noname-laptop.
It works fine without cardbus support compiled in (Christian's IRQ
probing works OK too), but with cardbus support, and my PCMCIA
3c589 card inserted, it panics. It seems to mess up scanning the
CIS info. I don't know why, perhaps the pointer it gets is wrong
to begin with, because it retrieves the information just fine
when I only have PCMCIA enabled.

My noname lap has a "2 Micro Inc" cardbus bridge, which is recognized
by the cbb code. Its product ID is 6832, and I assume that they wanted
to indicate that it's Cirrus 6832 compatible with that.

The docs for this chip are available on their website, but I don't
have time to look into this, unfortunately.

- Frank