Subject: Re: CARDBUS vs. GENERIC
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Matt Ragan <mragan@uk.tivoli.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/03/2000 12:24:42
Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Feb 2000 19:03:55 +0100
>  Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net> wrote:
>
>  > How come the CardBus stuff has not been integrated into GENERIC?
>
> We need to make sure the options necessary to make it work don't screw
> other people without cardbus...
>
>         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>

Speaking of which...

I run two different kernels on my Thinkpad 770Z - one with the CardBus
support, and one without it.  The one with CardBus support runs my
CardBus device just fine (3Com 3C575B-TX), but any PCMCIA devices that
are inserted (Flash card, Adaptec 1460B, 3Com 3C589, Lucent WaveLAN) all
panic the system when they are probed.  The identical kernel without
CardBus support detect and run these devices just fine (with the
exception of the WaveLAN, as the support doesn't seem to be there for the
Turbo 11Mb cards with or without encryption turned on).

Is this a known issue, or should I send in a PR with the dump output?  I
suppose I should rebuild a kernel with a serial console to get the error
messages, anyways.

--
Matt Ragan                                EMEA IT/Network Support
Tivoli Systems (UK) Ltd.                      +44 (0) 1753 780070