Subject: Re: strange network behaviour in 1.4.2_ALPHA [really long]
To: Tony Hernandez <dbsaint@gru.net>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/02/2000 03:01:03
On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 02:16:49AM -0000, Tony Hernandez wrote:
> I just dont see how my NetBSD machine is not getting there with the web browser
> and the win95 machine is getting there everytime I try it.. it may just be a
> netscape fluke....

Sheesh. They'll never get these browsers fixed, will they?

(Sorry, it's 3am, I'm tired, and I have to be up at 7am for a whole day of
class. This is going to suck.)

Web browser behavior is very dependent on the organization making the
software, the version of the software, the type and version of the OS,
other software you have installed, the version of the IP stack, the
phase of the moon, and is also conditional on you having a good hair day.

It's *totally* possible the win95 machine is picking only one IP the first
time it hits the site and the NetBSD machine is doing a better job of
load balancing across multiple IPs (but is having problems because of the
site misconfiguration).

Four years of dealing with this mess as an admin is enough for me. June 1st
marks my first day as a compiler guy. I can't wait.

(Isn't that a great quote below from Keir Finlow Bates? I love it.)

 "Good grief, I've just noticed I've typed in a rant. Sorry chaps!"
                            Keir Finlow Bates, circa 1998