Subject: NetBsd as A File Server
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Sam <sam@epita.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/27/1999 10:08:39
HI.

We are trying to build the best File Server we can possibly make with
NetBsd on intel architecture. We built servers under FreeBSD but we are
not satisfied with the NFS perfs, and Free Bsd in general. (PIII 500, 4
U2W 18Go stripped HD, and 3coms/digital NIC).

We are looking for the best U2W card and the bests NIC (Network
interface card) 100Mb available and supported under NetBSD.

Adaptecs U2W aren't supported as far as we know.
Tekkrams and Intra-Server Cards (ncr) see our disks in 40Mb/s and spit
lots of errors while detecting the disks.

We aren't satisfied with 3com NIC too, we got lots of collisions. So we
are looking for good Ethernet Card, with big buffers, and good support
under netbsd.

We are trying to beat a NetApp. We are close to the NetApps performance
with our free BSD PCs, wich are a lot cheaper, and that we know a lot
better. We know (at least hope) that we can do better with NetBSD.

If anyone can help us with good tips...

Thanx alot.

sam@epita.fr
Sys-Admin.