Subject: Re: X cards - two heads?
To: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
From: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/22/1999 15:14:33
On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Jon Lindgren wrote:

>Along the lines of a new card, has anyone ever installed two cards and run
>two heads (localhost:0.0 and localhost:0.1)?  If so, how does the local
>keyboard/mouse switch between the two?  I've had no experience doing this
>on the local machine; only ever on xterms (like the tektronix) have I done
>this...

The Solaris X server (Xsun) does this with command-line options to
specify the position of each display:

    -dev <frame-buffer device> [ left | right | top | bottom ]

The position modifiers specify the position of each screen relative to
the previous one.  It also appears to be possible to have different
screen resolutions, and even some color and some greyscale screens!

The Xsun man page says it also accepts the format used by the sample
X11R6 server:

    -dev <device0>:<device1>:...:<deviceN>

where the screens are assumed to be placed in order, left to right.

When you move the mouse pointer off the right-hand side of the first screen,
it is supposed to appear on the left-hand side of the second screen (and
so on).  I've never actually used a multi-headed display, but am vaguely
considering getting a G400.

Roger

Roger Brooks (Systems Programmer),          |  Email: R.S.Brooks@liv.ac.uk
Computing Services Dept,                    |  Tel:   +44 151 794 4441
The University of Liverpool,                |  Fax:   +44 151 794 4442
PO Box 147, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK           |