Subject: Re: X cards
To: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/21/1999 15:41:57
On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 03:31:06PM -0500, Jon Lindgren wrote:
> This is most likely a well worn question, but I must ask again:
>
> Has anyone had any excellent experiences with PCI cards for X?  Perhaps
> any which I should actively avoid?  I need to bring up a new workspace, so
> I figured I'd shell out the bucks (hey, it's the holidays :-/ and buy a
> good card.
>
> I figured I'd eventaully end up with an ATI card, but if anyone wanted to
> persuade me to another, I'd certainly be appreciative.

*DO NOT* buy an ATI card that uses the "Rage 128" chipset -- these are
the TV Wonder 128, Rage Fury, XPERT99, and a few others.  There is no
X server for these except a very buggy Linux server for which the
maintainer piously claims the source is availble but for which, as far as
I can tell, it actually is not.

An older ATI card -- XPERT98, for example -- will work well.

The other option is a Matrox Millenium MGA200 or MGA400.  The MGA400
may require -current, or at least that you run an X server built
from current source.  Either will work great; the MGA400 is a
dual-head model and is only about $20 more.

I just switched from an 8MB XPERT98 to a 32MB MGA400 and I am
very happy with it.  The Matrox cards also have an accelerated
GL available, nice if you like to do 3D stuff.

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"