Subject: Applixware - it's still doing it!
To: Port-i386 <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/20/1999 21:16:47
Once upon a time, there was a Finnish guy who whined about Applixware
being real slow on his NetBSD machine.  This guy is back!

Now he's running NetBSD 1.4.1+ with the linux libraries installed from
pkgsrc and after Applixware has been running for a while, it gradually
becomes very slow with its display updates.  It gets quite annoying,
trying to write a document when every display update takes about 30
seconds.

I'm running the stock XFree server that came with NetBSD.  If I drag
windows etc., all is well and fast, but in Applixware, it feels like
two liters of super glue were poured into the CPU registers.

I can't imagine it would be like this under linux - it _must_ be something
NetBSD related.  Long time ago, I was running XFree with GNU malloc (I think
that's what it was ;-) and things worked a lot better - but then, the X
server slowly grew up to fill all the memory it could get (not very nice,
either).

Sigh.

  -jm